Monday, January 3, 2011

Sitting; Waiting

 
More tears were shed at the French Consulate today. I was first in line to pick up my visa, but when I went up to the service window, the consulate employee could not find my application nor my passport. She ran around frantically amongst the filing cabinets and stacks of paperwork trying to locate my packet. Twenty other students came and went after me, all spending about thirty seconds there because their visas had been neatly placed in an organized pile on the desk. After half an hour I asked her if she could tell me what was going on. She responded, "Take a seat. We are the rules around here, not you. I don't have to answer your questions. Now sit down." How rude.

I sat around for another half an hour, and at this point, I had lost all hope that I would be able to catch my flight. Then, miraculously, she called me up to the window and handed me my passport with the visa, stating that she just needed time to find it. My dad rushed me to the airport, and it took me all of twenty minutes to check my bags and go through security. Why do people recommend you get here three hours early? Now I'm sitting waiting at Gate B1 for flight 7687 to board. I can't believe I made it!

No comments:

Post a Comment